Financial Planning Guide
In addition to the cost of tuition, fees, housing and meals, you are required to have a tool set for the CSI ASEP program. These tools will travel back and forth with you between the school and your sponsoring work site.
The brand of tools you choose to purchase will determine the actual cost. The tools could be as little as $600 up to $2300 dollars, depending on the quality and brand of the tools chosen. There will also be the additional cost of a suitable toolbox to store and secure the tools.
The College of Southern Idaho works closely with Snap-on, MATCO and Craftsman to provide the students with discounts. Snap-On and MATCO offer 50-65% off and Craftsman offers 15% off of their tool packages. Other tool vendors also offer great discounts to technical students. Upon completing all of the requirements for acceptance into the program, tool information will be sent to so that you may begin the ordering process if this is the option you choose.
On the following page is a suggested tool list. It can be added to, but it is not recommended that tools be taken away from it.
Recommended Tool List
Tool list provided is for information only, any brand or quality may be used.
- Safety glasses
- Hacksaw 12"
- Hammer; 12 oz. plastic tip
- Gasket scraper
- Hammer; 32 oz. ball peen
- Hammer; 12 oz. ball peen
- Rule 6" flex
- Scriber; carbide tip
- Feeler gauge: offset 26 leaf
- Hearing protection
- Test light
- 10 piece screwdriver set
- Pick tool set
- Torque wrench 0 150 ft. lb.
- Socket adapter 3/8"F 1/2"M
- Socket adapter 1/2" 3/8"M
- Torx socket driver set: T10-T50
- Punch and chisel set
- Standard combination wrench set: 5/16-1 1/4"
- Metric combination wrench set: 8mm-21mm
- Metric flare wrench set
- Arc-joint pliers
- Slip-joint pliers
- Snap ring pliers set
- Pliers 7" diagonal cut
- Pliers 6" long nose
- Locking pliers 7 1/2" straight
- 10" Crescent wrench
- Ratchet 1/4" drive
- ¼" extension set
- 3/8" drive ratchet
- 3/8" extension set
- ½" drive ratchet
- ½" extension set
- ½" breaker bar (15" or 18")
- Standard shallow 1/4" drive 6-point socket set: 9/32-1/2
- Standard deep 1/4" drive 6-point socket set: 9/32-1/2
- Metric shallow 1/4" drive 6-point socket set: 5mm-15mm
- Metric deep 1/4" drive 6-point socket set: 5mm-15mm
- Standard shallow 3/8" drive 6-point socket set: 3/8 – 7/8
- Standard deep 3/8" drive 6-point socket set: 3/8 – 7/8
- Metric shallow 3/8" drive 6-point socket set: 8mm-19mm
- Metric deep 3/8" drive 6-point socket set: 8mm-19mm
- 3/8" drive 5/8" spark plug socket
- 3/8" drive 13/16" spark plug socket
- Standard shallow 1/2" drive 6-point socket set: 7/16-1 1/4
- Standard deep 1/2" drive 6-point socket set: 7/16-1 1/4
- Metric shallow 1/2" drive 6-point socket set: 10mm-24mm
- Metric deep 1/2" drive 6-point socket set: 10mm-24mm
- Hex key set; 14 piece; combination metric
- Brake spring tool
- Brake adjusting tool
- Washer tool; brake spring
- Putty knife 1 1/4" stiff
- Metric hex driver set
- Standard hex driver set
- E-socket set 20-2
back to top